Advocating for individuals with autism to ensure inclusive education practice.
Who is our service for?
Children and young people with Autism and Asperger Syndrome at all Key Stages, their families and other professionals working to support them.
What do we do?
- Support schools to include children and young people with Autism and Asperger syndrome
- Advise on strategies, interventions and resources to increase access to the curriculum
- Work alongside staff in schools to help meet the needs of these children and young people
- Support the transition process from Nursery to School, Primary to Secondary and Secondary to College.
- Offer bespoke training packages in individual contexts
The Autism Team has a team of Transition Support Workers who are able to offer programmes of support in times of significant change and transition at all Key Stages. Support is offered to those young people who meet the criteria and may experience the greatest difficulty with transfer and change.
Support for families
The Autism Team works in partnership with locality-based parent support and provides training and advice to families, including offering sibling support groups.
We offer training tailored to the needs of your school or organisation covering the following areas:
- Understanding of Autism and Asperger's
- Tools for inclusion
- Promoting emotional wellbeing for pupils on Autistic Spectrum
- Promoting effective communication and social interaction skills
- Understanding sensory sensitivities and practical solutions
How do we work?
- We have a named teacher allocated to every City school and we allocate our time according to criteria based on individual need
- We allocate teaching assistants to support schools to work with pupils at times of transition and change. This is on a priority basis and is reviewed regularly.
- We work with schools and other professionals as part of a multi-agency team around the child for prioritised pupils
- We provide training and advice to schools which can be purchased for pupils who do not meet the criteria for support.
For further details please download the documents below:
Name: Judith Morgan - Team Leader
Tel: 0115 8765311